The process of importing downloaded music to iTunes may seem a thing of the past especially since the advent of music streaming websites and apps but it does matter to those who are habitual of downloading lectures and other similar stuff and then moving to their Apple devices.
The method is simple and helps you sync your music or other files with IOS devices, or listen to these audio files on your PC. A few clicks here and there and you are good to go.
How do you add music to iTunes?
- Usually, all the downloaded files go to the Downloads folder on your computer, if you use some other folders to store downloads then know the name of the folder first prior to proceeding.
- Go to iTunes.
- If you plan on importing a group of files together, click the File menu.
- Find “Add to Library”.
- Now, look up the folder where your downloaded files are stored and click that.
- You shall now see a progress bar.
- Go to the Music option by clicking the drop-down menu near the top left corner. Click Songs, and then click the Date Added column and there you will see the list of songs added by you just recently.
When you are done adding songs, iTunes will divide them into separate categories by dividing them according to into albums or artists etc.
How to Copy Music after Importing into iTunes
Once you are done adding music to iTunes, you will see in iTunes the references to the location of the added files and not really the actual ones. You can think of this as seeing Shortcuts of these files on the desktop and not the actual ones.
If you unintentionally move a file, iTunes will keep looking for it and will be unable to locate it. To avoid such a situation, you can have iTunes copy files into a specific folder for yourself. In this way, even after the location of a file is changed, iTunes will still find it for you to play it.
Follow these steps to make a special folder.
- Go to iTunes and click Edit
- Go to Preferences
- Click Advanced.
- Now, check “Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to Library.
This will ensure that the newly imported songs are added to iTunes Media folder within the user’s account.
How to Convert Other Formats to MP3
When downloading content like songs, it is highly likely that you get formats other than MP3. Other formats include AAC or FLAC. Usually, you can go to the web and look for converters online to do the job. Otherwise, you may use the converter that is available inside iTunes itself.
You may also come across some other options like adding songs from CDs or from Apple Music.
Let us know in the comments down below.